Finding Our Stride aims to provide a simple, free program that provides elementary and middle school children an opportunity for physical accomplishment that would translate into a sense of success. While we welcome all children from qualifying schools to participate in Finding Our Stride, we have developed our program to touch children most at risk due to poverty, distress and trauma which may leave them without a strong sense of capability and agency. Many school districts do not have funding for running programs.
Finding Our Stride provides:
- Guided workouts 2 – 3 times per week, led by coaches made up of teachers, guidance counselors and parents
- Modest stipends for coaches
- Healthy snacks
- Nutrition information
- Transportation to races
- Running shoes (based on need)
- Team t-shirts
- Registration fees for an end of the season running event.
FOS is committed to measuring outcomes relative to our three main goals of fitness, self-esteem and teamwork. To that end, we ask each team to have their runners fill out a survey at the beginning and end of the season, to measure our progress. Below are improvements made in the fall season of 2018:
• 62% more kids were active at least 4 days per week
• 33% more kids could run for at least 15 minutes or more
• 28% more kids felt confident in themselves
The cost to operate our program each season is approximately $3,500 per school. We hope you will support our program and thank you for your consideration!
Finding Our Stride is a federally recognized 501(c)3 non-profit organization.